An Update on a global water usage standard (November 2011)
Updates and Sector News
In the summer we reported on the establishment of the Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS) as a multi-stakeholder organization whose is likely to be the organization behind the development of a voluntary sustainability standard for water usage. In late October, the AWS made progress on the development of the “International Water Stewardship Standard”, and stated the following about it.
- The standard will be global.
- Address economic, environmental and social aspects of water usage.
- Designed to be implemented by a legal entity that utilizes a particular watershed.
- Designed to be used at the site/facility level; and not focus on products.
- Is more likely to be used by water management companies than their customers or supply chains.
A first draft of the standard is due in March 2012, with 2013 targeted for final release. Any questions or comments should be directed to the Global Water Roundtable Coordinator, Alexis Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ekobai.com is a supplier directory listing over 50,000 companies from around the world producing and selling products certified to sustainability and organic standards such as Fair Trade, FSC, MSC and the Soil Association mark. Our B2B directory is free for companies to list on and the information is open to all viewers at no charge. Companies listed on ekobai.com find new customers from around the world and buyers can short list and contact new suppliers based on ethical and sustainability criteria.